KINGMAN: Route 66
HUALAPAI: Gold King Mine
YUCCA: Boriana Mine
WARM SPRINGS: Natural spring/Petroglyphs
WIKIEUP: Signal Ghost Town, McCracken Mine, Rock House
KAISER HOT SPRING: Natural Hot Springs
BURRO CREEK: River/Swimming
SIGNAL: Old Mining Cemetary
LAKE ALAMO: Swimming/Fishing
SWANSEA: Old Copper Mining Town
BOUSE: WWII Woman Flight Marker, WWII Camp Bouse Secret Army Base, Old Yuma Stage Route, Camp Bouse Monument Row, Old Assay Office and Museum, Bouse Fisherman Intaglio.
PARKER: Colorado River, Nellie E. Saloon / Desert Bar, Swansea Ghost Town, Bill Williams National Wildlife Refuge, Snake Intaglio.
PLANET RANCH: Old Adobe Post Office, Copper and Silver Mine
LAKE HAVASU CITY: Founders Cabin, The Bunker Bar, Colorado River, El Campo Mine & Underground General Store, Gold Spring, Rovey's Needle, The Rock Pile, Bat Cave.
TOPOCK: Colorado River
GOLDEN SHORE: Abandoned 1890 Railroad.
OATMAN: Wild Burros, Old Mining Town.
BULLHEAD CITY: Hardyville Cemetery, Secret Pass, Slot Canyon, Bra and Pantie Tree.
The Hava - Spider as we call him is one of two unique spider art deco pieces placed in the desert. These spiders along with several other locations make for some great stops when your out on a trail ride from Mesquite Ranch.
The Mining cabins are spread out and accessible from several trails off Alamo rd. Planet Ranch rd. and Mohave Wash. These cabins along with several other locations make for some great stops when your out on a trail ride from Mesquite Ranch.
The mountain range consists of five main peaks: Dean Peak, Getz Peak, Aspen Peak, and Hayden Peak overlooking the broad Hualapai Valley to the north toward Kingman; and the tallest, Hualapai Peak, on the south.
There are 10 miles (16 km) of hiking trails ranging in difficulty, and an ATV trail head which leads to the trails. There is a designated fire escape route to get down and out of the park in the event of a wildfire.
Hualapai Mountain Park is a county park managed by the Mohave County Parks department and the Hualapai Mountain Park staff. The park encompasses over 2,300 acres with elevations ranging from 4,984 feet to 8417 feet.
Visit the town of Wikieup to discover top-quality American Indian art, great photo ops, supplies and items such as ICE, drinks, food, snacks, gas and rugged trails for off-roading.
"First exploration probably by early Spanish explorers, Espejo in 1582 and Farfan in 1589. Explored later by Lt. Amiel W. Whipple in 1854. Important agriculture, mining, milling, and smelting area in our early days. The McCrackin Mine discovered by Jackson McCrackin and H. A. "Chloride Jack" Owen in 1874, lies 18 miles south. The Signal Mine was 12 miles south. Stamp mills were at Greenwood, 8 miles southwest and at Virginia City, 9 miles southwest. Cofer Hot Springs 3 miles east.
In 1874, "Chloride Jack" Owens and a party of prospectors made their way into the the mountains north of the Bill Williams Fork and found an outcropping of silver atop McCracken Hill. Soon after, a mill was erected. A group of senators bought the mill from nearby Greenwood City at a foreclosure price and put it to work producing $1.5 million in silver. Then in the winter of 1877-78, the McCracken Consolidated Mining Company erected another mill at the new Virginia City. The mines soon played out and by 1879 the place was deserted. Its peak population was about 100.
The Rock House is near McCracken Mine and accessible from several trails off Alamo rd. and Planet Ranch rd. The Rock House along with several other locations make for some great stops when your out on a trail ride from Mesquite Ranch.
Big Sandy River runs through Northwest Arizona and has some awesome scenery and wildlife here you can get your feet wet while relaxing in a deep canyon with tall Arizona cliffs listening and watching all nature has to offer.
The Big Sandy River is both an intermittent and perennial stream in Mohave and La Paz counties in northwestern Arizona in the United States. It begins where Cottonwood Wash and Trout Creek converge in the Hualapai Indian Reservation east of U.S. Route 93 then flows past Wikieup south of Kingman. The Big Sandy River then passes the Signal Ghost Town Site, meanders through the Arrastra Mountain Wilderness, and joins the Santa Maria River in Southern Mohave County to form the Bill Williams River. The Bill Williams River then empties into Alamo Lake State Park. The Big Sandy River is 55.7 miles (89.6 km) long.
The Big Sandy drainage basin covers approximately 2,000 square miles (5,200 km2) in Mohave, La Paz, and Yavapai counties. The Hualapai Mountains are west of the river, and the Aquarius and Mohon Mountains lie to the east and southeast, the Juniper Mountains further east, and the Peacock Mountains and Cottonwood Mountains to the north. Hualapai Peak at 8,417 feet (2,566 m) is the highest point in the basin.
The river flows through the Arrastra Mountain Wilderness.
The Big Sandy River flows year-round (perennial flow) south of the Signal Ghost Town site and intermittently above this site. In the period of 2007-2016, the surface water flow of the Big Sandy at the USGS monitoring site at the Signal Ghost Town ranged from a minimum of 22 US gallons (83 L) per second to a maximum output of nearly 524,000 US gallons (1,980,000 L) per second during flooding in early 2010.
Except for the northeastern part of the basin, aquifers supply a median well flow of 300 US gallons (1,100 L) per minute and up to 2,000 US gallons (7,600 L) per minute at Cane Springs, along Route 93 north of Wikieup. The largest spring in the Bill Williams River watershed is south of Cane Springs in the Big Sandy watershed; it discharges at 1,600 US gallons (6,100 L) per minute. Much of the water pumped from the basin is used in mining operations in the Bill Williams area. The Big Sandy basin, as of 2000, had a population of 1,142 people.
The Big Sandy River basin is home to numerous animals and plants endemic to the region. An endangered bird, the southwestern willow flycatcher, resides in the basin, which has one of the few riparian areas remaining in Arizona. Wild Burros, a protected species, live in the river valley along with ring-tailed cats, mountain lions, coyote, and elk. Plant species include sycamores, willows, and cottonwoods.
Signal, Arizona is a ghost town and old west cemetery located on the banks of the Big Sandy River. The town was a mining center from the 1870's to the 1930's The peak population was around 800. Remnants of the town can still be seen today along with nearby Virginia City.
Signal came into existence because of silver and gold mining in the area. In 1874 the McCracken mines opened up and Signal grew up a couple years later in 1876 to 1877. During its time, the town had mills for local mines and the nearby McCracken mines. A major problem for Signal was getting freight to the isolated location. Shop owners had to make their orders 6 months in advance. At the town's heyday it had 5 stores, 3 restaurants, and 13 saloons and its own brewery. The town was mostly abandoned by 1932, but a few ranches in the area continue to this day.
Little remains of the original mines and mill still exist. Scattered ruins of mine equipment and adobe ruins of the town mark the site today. The ruins are well-preserved due to the remote location. An intact town cemetery also remains. There is a part-time caretaker of the town. The historical remnants of the town sit on Bureau of Land Management land. The area around Signal is not entirely uninhabited as there are several farms and houses nearby, and the unincorporated area of Signal is still listed as populated.
The town is located about 16 miles off of U.S. Route 93, about 60 miles (97 km) south of Kingman. The Big Sandy River runs to the east of the town site. The river runs mostly year-round at a trickle, but is sometimes impassible after a rain. Signal is at the northern end of Signal Wash. The Arrastra Mountain Wilderness is about 3 miles south of the town site. The Artillery Mountains run along the western side of the Big Sandy River to Alamo Lake, 12 miles (19 km) to the south.
The Big Sandy Shoot, billed as the Worlds Largest Private Machine Gun Shoot, is held twice a year, both in the spring and fall. This event allows attendees to rent time actually shooting machine guns of various types. You also have the opportunity to view night shooting with tracers, along with Military tanks and Howitzers being fired amd much more. This is a three day event.
Alamo Lake State Park Here you can swim or just put your feet into the water bring a kayak or your tube to float. The Alamo Lake State Park is in Arizona, USA, centered on Alamo Lake, a flood control and recreational reservoir. The park is located in western Arizona about 38 miles north of Wenden. It is accessed via paved two lane road off either U.S. Route 60 to the south, U.S. Route 93 to the east or Alamo Rd from the North (Please Note: you can only access the North shore of Alamo Lake from Alamo Road you cannot access the park itself with out four wheel drive from this point). However this area is sought after and well liked Owing to its remoteness, the park is often considered one of the "best kept secrets" of the state park system.
Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge includes activities such as nature walks, bird watching, hiking, and kayaking on the Bill Williams River.
The Bill Williams River is a 46.3-mile-long (74.5 km) river in west-central Arizona where it, along with its tributary, the Santa Maria River, form the boundary between Mohave County to the north and La Paz County to the south. It is a major drainage westwards into the Colorado River of the Lower Colorado River Valley south of Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, and the drainage basin covers portions of northwest, and west-central Arizona. The equivalent drainage system paralleling the east–west lower reaches of the Bill Williams is the Gila River, which flows east-to-west across central Arizona, joining the Colorado River in the southwest at Yuma. The confluence of the Bill Williams River with the Colorado is north of Parker, and south of Lake Havasu City.
To the north of the river are the Artillery Mountains, the Rawhide Mountains and the Bill Williams Mountains. To the south lie the Buckskin Mountains. The old mining camp of Swansea (now a ghost town) lies in the Buckskin Mountains about 3.7 miles (6.0 km) south of the river.
The two tributaries that form the Bill Williams are the Big Sandy River and the Santa Maria River. Alamo Lake, a flood control reservoir, lies just west of the confluence of the two tributaries. The reservoir and state park is a major fishing and recreation region on the river. The confluence of the Bill Williams River with the Colorado River is just north of Parker Dam and the entire riparian environment has state parks and wilderness areas: Buckskin Mountain State Park, Cattail Cove State Park, and the Gibraltar Mountain, Swansea, and Cactus Plain wilderness areas.
Fish species in the Bill Williams river include largemouth bass, yellow bullhead, green sunfish, bluegill, carp, mosquitofish, red shiner, razorback sucker, and others. The lowland leopard frog, North American river otter, beaver, muskrat, Arizona toad, and spiny-spotted turtle are among the major aquatic vertebrates found in or near the water. Plants in the riparian zones include several kinds of willows as well as bulrushes, and saltcedar. The Bill Williams Wildlife Refuge near Parker is frequented by at least 335 species of birds.
The city of Scottsdale, Arizona, formerly owned a ranch on the river and planned to export water from it. However, in 2006, Scottsdale sold the ranch & surroundings to the Phelps Dodge mining company, which operated it as a nature reserve, under a government program for companies to restore habitat in one area to balance environmental damage caused elsewhere.
The Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge protects the lower course of the river, to its mouth at Lake Havasu reservoir. The Sonoran Desert rare riparian habitat of Bill Williams River NWR draws a variety of Neotropical migratory birds, from Central and South America en route to their breeding grounds in the north. It has one of the last stands of the natural Cottonwood-Willow Forests plant community along the lower Colorado River, with Fremont's cottonwood (Populus fremontii) and Goodding's willow (Salix gooddingii) the primary tree species.
This is an old copper,silver and gold mine Located along the Bill Williams River, adjacent to the east side of the Bill Williams River National Wildlife Refuge
Planet is a populated place on the north bank of the Bill Williams River in La Paz County, Arizona. The town was known as a travelers' stopping place, and had a post office from 1902 to 1921. The name was collected between 1976 and 1980 by the United States Geological Survey, and entered into the Geographic Names Information System on February 8, 1980.
The geology of the Planet area is ancient, estimated to be Precambrian, the bedrock being made up mostly of pinkish gneiss and absorbed limestone and amphibolite, which contained hematite-copper. Gold and the copper were discovered in La Paz County in the early 1860s. The Planet area began producing ore around 1868, making it likely the first copper mine in Arizona. Prospectors received trouble from Apaches in the area until 1874, when they were placed on reserves. Smelting and bullion production, assaying at about 5% copper, began in the 1880s. By 1884, the mine had sent more than 6,000 tons of high-quality copper to San Francisco. Transporting freight 28 miles to Planet cost $10 to $18 a ton. There was for a while limited access to Planet, a stage going between the town and Bouse (21.5 miles to the south) three times a week. With 31 lode claims, the mine was noted as a good example of the state's abundant natural resources. In 1906, the mine was owned by J. Stanley Jones of Denver, Colorado.
The New Planet Mining Company was incorporated in Delaware on July 13, 1909. Its predecessor, the Planet Copper Mining Co., had taken over the mine in 1902. By 1916, the Planet Copper Mine was producing 3,929,000 lbs. of copper a year; it ranked as the 25th most productive copper mine in the United States. By 1920, the company's stock assets amounted to $4 million at $5 a share. That year, the superintendent of the mine was Claude Ferguson.
This is an old west town with ruins from the old school house, post office, two cemetaries and several other building foundations still remaining. Swansea was an old Copper mining town located on the banks of the Bill Williams river.
Swansea is a Ghost town in La Paz County in the U.S. State of Arizona. It was settled around 1909 in what was then the Arizona Territory. It served as a mining town as well as a location for processing and smelting the copper ore taken from the nearby mines.
Prospecting and mining in the area first began around 1862, but the remote location and lack of transportation kept activity to a minimum. By 1904, the railroad was coming to nearby Parker, and local miners Newton Evans and Thomas Jefferson Carrigan saw an opportunity to develop the area. Within a few years, the two miners had built a 350-ton furnace, a water pipeline to the Bill Williams River, and hoists for five mine shafts. They called the new town Signal (not to be confused with the other Arizona ghost town of Signal). By 1908, the claims in the area had been consolidated by the Clara Gold and Copper Mining Company, which set up its headquarters in the mining camp that would become Swansea. That same year, what was to become the Arizona and Swansea Railroad connected Signal to Bouse some 25 miles (40 km) away. These two factors spurred the growth of the town, and its population quickly grew to about 300 residents.
When mining operations first began, the lack of smelting facilities meant that the copper ore had to be sent away for smelting. The destination for most of the ore was Swansea, South Wales, United Kingdom and it was sent by way of railroad to the Colorado River, and was then shipped from the Gulf of California around Cape Horn to the United Kingdom. Once a smelter was constructed in 1909, Signal took its new name from the previous location of the smelter they had used in Wales. As such, the destination of the ore sent for smelting remained the same. When the post office was established on March 25, 1909, it was under the name of Swansea.
At its peak, Swansea boasted an electric light company, an auto dealer, a lumber company, two cemeteries, a saloon, theaters, restaurants, barbershops, an insurance agent, a physician, and of course the local mining and smelting facilities.
The town was short-lived. By 1911, the Clara Consolidated Gold and Copper Mining Company was in financial trouble. The company's promoter in Swansea, George Mitchell, spent considerable sums of money on improvements aimed at attracting investors at the expense of practical improvements to the process of mining, hauling, and processing ore. As a result, the high cost of improvements coupled with the high cost of production meant that the mines could not turn a profit as the per-pound cost of copper production exceeded its price by three cents. The company collapsed in 1912, closing down the mines.
After a false start later that year under a new owner, the mines and the town remained quiet until the American Smelting and Refining Company bought the properties in 1914. The new owners restarted mining operations and once again built up the town. Swansea lived on until just after World War I when copper prices dropped, and the town went into a steep decline. Swansea's post office was discontinued on June 28, 1924, and the population dispersed. By 1937, the mines shut down, and Swansea was already a ghost town.
Today Swansea is under the protection of the Bureau of Land Management, and constitutes the Swansea Town Site Special Management Area. Due to vandalism and exposure to the weather, the remains of Swansea are in decline. However, you can still see a number of adobe structures, the remains of the railroad depot, two cemeteries, and several mine shafts. Remains of numerous cars can be seen scattered throughout the site. The Bureau of Land Management has restored roofs to rows of single-miner's quarters, established an interpretive trail for visitors to Swansea, and is engaged in efforts to shore up other structures. In addition, there are many stone foundations where buildings once stood.
From Mesquite Ranch, a trail ride through Standard Wash OHV Area will lead you to shopping, dining and more in Lake Havasu City. Visit the London Bridge, Balloon Festivals and other local events. There's always plenty of things to see and do in Lake Havasu City.
The principals of the Tread Lightly! program are summarized with the word TREAD.
T Travel only on designated routes.
R Respect the rights of others.
E Educate yourself.
A Avoid sensitive areas and wildlife.
D Drive responsibly.